A guide to coffee for beginners: lattes, mochas, and everything in-between!
If you are new to the world of coffee, walking into a coffee shop and knowing what to order can be a challenge! This blog will give you the lowdown on everything from a classic espresso to a mocha and everything in between. By the end of this, you’ll be a coffee connoisseur!
The first thing to know about the different drinks available at a coffee shop is that they are all about the ratio of coffee to milk. For some drinks, this also includes the ratio of milk to coffee to milk foam, but don’t worry, all will become clear. This blog has you covered whether you prefer a black coffee, a milky coffee, or a dairy-free milk alternative in your coffee.
Let’s start with the classics and work our way through to the drinks that are a little more complicated.
- An espresso is simply a single or double shot of coffee served with or without milk. Espressos are generally stronger than other styles of black coffee, so it’s worth keeping this in mind when you order.
- If you are a fan of black coffee but want a longer drink or something a little less strong than an espresso, then this is for you. An Americano is 1 part coffee to 2 parts hot water.
- Latte: Perhaps the most well-known type of coffee, this one is ideal if you are trying coffee for the first time or prefer something less intense. A latte is 1 part coffee, 3 parts milk, and topped off with foam. You’re also likely to see a range of flavoured lattes available, particularly around Halloween and Christmas.
- A cappuccino is one of our personal favourites. A cappuccino is the perfect mix of milk and coffee. 1 part coffee, 1 part milk, and 1 part foam. It is a great option if you are looking for a white coffee with a little more coffee flavour.
- Flat White: This one is nice and simple, and you are definitely going to be able to taste the coffee with this one. A flat white is a double shot of espresso topped with milk and finished with foam.
- Macchiato: this one could be labelled the “new kid on the block” and is less well known amongst those new to the world of coffee. For those who are in a hurry or looking for a coffee that is like an espresso with a touch of milk then this is for you! A single shot of espresso topped with froth, simple!